Truth Alliance Newsletter Signup
     Follow Us   |   Truth Alliance RSS Link     Truth Alliance Facebook Link     Truth Alliance Channel     Truth Alliance Live Documentaries
  Archive > News
Search

Scott Olsen makes first public statement since Occupy Oakland injury

Reuters | Nov. 14, 2011

Scott Olsen, the ex-marine whose injury during clashes between Oakland police and demonstrators gave impetus to anti-Wall Street protests, has said he is "feeling a lot better", in his first public statement since his injury.

In a message posted on social networking site Google+ on Sunday, 24-year-old Olsen thanked those who had been tracking his progress for their outpouring of support.

"I'm feeling a lot better, with a long road in front of me," Olsen wrote. "After my freedom of speech was quite literally taken from me, my speech is coming back but I've got a lot of work to do with rehab."

The post is accompanied by a photo of Olsen, smiling with a neck brace on and a scar on his forehead.

"Thank you for all of your support, it has meant the world to me," he wrote. "You'll be hearing more from me in the near future and soon enough we'll see you in our streets!"

Olsen was released from the hospital late last week, his friend Adele Carpenter, told Reuters.

Occupy Oakland organisers say Olsen was hit in the head by a tear gas canister police fired during a downtown confrontation on 25 October. He was admitted to a local hospital in critical condition.

The acting Oakland police chief, Howard Jordan, has opened an investigation into the circumstances surrounding Olsen's injury but police and city officials have not said how they believe the Iraq veteran was injured.

News of Olsen's injury gave fresh stimulus to the Occupy Wall Street movement that began in September. Activists in Oakland and elsewhere took to the streets, holding candlelit vigils and marches in his honour.

Olsen's statement had received hundreds of responses in support by Sunday evening, with Olsen chiming in at one point during the afternoon to say: "See, this is the kind of support I was talking about."

Olsen served two tours of duty in Iraq, working as a technician and earning a handful of service medals.

Friends say he became disillusioned with military life after leaving the service and started a now-defunct website called "I hate the Marine Corps", which served as a forum for disgruntled servicemen.

Olsen received an "administrative discharge" from the service in late 2009, his uncle George Nygaard has said, though the precise reasons for it have not been confirmed.

Such a discharge can result from any number of behavioural or disciplinary issues.


Related

Released FBI documents reveal plans to assassinate Occupy Wall Street Leaders With Snipers
Soros Warns of ‘Riots,‘ ’Brutal’ Clampdowns & Possible Total Economic Collapse
'Occupy' protesters disrupt Paul town hall
NYPD Using Army 'Snatch and Grab' Techniques Against OWS Protesters
Alex Jones on Homeland Security infiltrating OWS
Surprise, Homeland Security Coordinates National OWS Crackdowns
Militarizing the Police: How the Drug War and 9/11 Led to Battle-Dressed Cops Cracking Down on Peaceful Protests
Are police becoming militarized?
Arrested Occupy Protesters Told By Police: Penal Code Outstrips US Constitution
100 military veterans in uniform march through Manhattan with Occupy Wall Street

Tags

Injury, OWS, Scott Olsen, Statement

Civil Liberties :: 1162 Views :: 0 Comments
Comments
Only registered users may post comments.
~No live broadcasts this hour~
 
TruthAlliance.net
Email Address:  
Distributions

Subscribe

© Copyright 2007-2013 Truth Alliance inc. All Rights Reserved